Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,516 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #2 in Mystery Anthologies (Books)
- #3 in Mystery Anthologies (Kindle Store)
- #1 in Medical Romance (Kindle Store)
July 30, 2019Format: Kindle Edition Verified PurchaseThis collection of 17 medical thrillers was written by USA Today, Wall Street Journal and Amazon best-selling authors. I found it to be an eclectic collection …..entertaining, exciting and scary at times. What I didn’t expect was to think about legal, moral and ethical questions along the way.
I was expecting medical thrillers, for sure, but the wide range of topics is mind-boggling, to say the very least. Some of the topics covered in the collection that truly amazed me are: robotic surgery, organ transplants, harvesting of organs, PTSD and its effects on our wounded warriors, implants used as listening devices, genetics and bio-terrorism.
As if those topics aren’t sufficient, the reader is allowed to enter into more questions posed by the authors…Does ‘motive, means and opportunity equal guilt’? I loved the quote from Isaiah 26:19 in one of the novels. Outstanding.
The reader will be transported to many foreign countries including Syria, Guatemala, North Korea, and the Congo to name a few.
This collection is of superior quality and the writing is superb. I truly enjoyed the fact that I had to think about ethical and moral questions along the way. Thought provoking read for me.
Most highly recommended.txdoc
July 30, 2019Format: Kindle EditionVerified PurchaseThere are NO SPOILERS in this review. So far, I have only read Unlawful Harvest by P. D. Workman and Shatter Proof by Judith Lucci in this box set so my review is only for those two stories. Given the caliber of literary talent contributing to this collection, I have no doubt that these stories will all be riveting medical thrillers enjoyed by anyone partial to this genre.
UNLAWFUL HARVEST by P.D. Workman and was captivating from the very beginning. The main character, Mackenzie Kirsch, will take you on an emotional rollercoaster of a journey as she must transform herself from a pampered trust-fund socialite into a self-aware, effectual medical sleuth to discover the truth about what happened to her beloved sister. While this story does deal with the unsavory subject of unsanctioned organ harvesting and transplanting whereby the wealthy are able to buy organs at the expense of the exploited poorer populations of the world, there is no graphic violence nor are there gruesome descriptions which some might find repellent. The absence of offensive language and explicit sex scenes may also be appreciated by many readers. I enjoyed the fast pace of the story which kept me flipping pages late into the night. It is one of those books you just don’t want to put down until you have read the very last word. If you enjoy suspense, intrigue, family drama, spell-binding imagery and great character development, you will absolutely enjoy reading this story.
SHATTER PROOF by Judith Lucci is another enthralling tale for which you should probably be prepared to stay up late as you will likely feel compelled to read all the way to its conclusion. This story is the first in an upcoming series that introduces the reader to a wonderful lead character named Dr. Sonia Amon. She is not some super-human warrior amazon, but she is an amazing blend of courageous, skilled, intelligent, vulnerable, driven, and compassionate. Dr. Amon is a recently retired Army physician who is affiliated with the Army War College and Walter Reed Hospital along with serving on committees for the WHO and NATO to help rebuild the infrastructure of medical care in the Middle East. Did I mention she also runs covert ops for the CIA? Having been raised in Syria by her Syrian father (a high-ranking member of ISIS), she has the appearance and language skills that, combined with her scientific and medical background, make her an extremely valuable asset for chemical and biological weapons threat assessment. If that hasn’t piqued your interest yet, I don’t know what will. This story has so much to offer in the way of insights to the lives of our military personnel stationed in war-torn, terrorist-infested areas, the hardships of life in the Middle East, the overwhelming need for basic medical care, the imminent threat of outbreaks of infectious diseases, the constant threat of attack in the form of anything from simple gunfire and grenades to dirty bombs to chemical and/or biological weapons. Dr. Amon takes the reader on an action-packed adventure to her hometown in Syria where she is trying to establish desperately needed medical clinics and gather intel for the government concerning imminent threats from ISIS all while enjoying an all-too-brief visit with her fiancée (an American military officer) and evade capture by her loathsome terrorist-affiliated father. What a ride!
Do No Harm includes the following novels:
- Death Hub by Ed Dasso: Jack Bass, MD, discovers that new medical technology can work wonders…if it doesn’t kill you first. Jack is working feverishly with two of his favorite past students to figure out what is behind the chaos of medical technology gone crazy. Then stop it. But, is it a bigger issue than anything they could have imagined?
- Shatterproof: A Sonia Amon MD Thriller by Judith Lucci: Newly retired Army physician and War College Professor Sonia Amon returns to war-torn Syria to open several village medical clinics and save lives – until is seems she can’t save her own…
- Overdose by Uvi Poznansky: Months after recovering from coma, Ash discovers that the man who performed her brain surgery has a questionable medical experience and a dark past. Should she expose him, at the risk of becoming vulnerable to his revenge?
- Two Hearts Unspoken Targets By Tamara Ferguson: Battling PTSD, wounded warrior Air Force Captain Zachary Logan experiences flashbacks of a gruesome murder. Can he keep his new love and autistic son safe when they’re all singled out by the killer?
- Fatal Limit by Inge-Lise Goss: Hospital affairs turn deadly when an untraceable toxin kills a scorned lover, spurring a private eye to search for a devious killer
- The Gamma Sequence by Dan Alatorre: Geneticist Lanaya Kim has evidence that a series of seemingly unrelated deaths were murders and not accidents, but coming forward with what she knows could make her a suspect or reveal herself to the unknown killer.
- Unlawful Harvest by P.D. Workman: When MacKenzie Kirsch set out to find out why her sister Amanda was so ill, she had no idea of the dark world of organ transplantation her amateur investigation would lead her into.
- Justice For All by Chris Patchell: A brutal attack. A survivor left for dead. When DNA evidence cracks a cold case, can Assistant District Attorney, Elizabeth Holt, find the justice she’s looking for?
- Savage Art by Danielle Girard: FBI profiler Casey McKinley survived a brutal attack by the notorious serial killer known as “Leonardo” for his penchant for dissecting his victims as DaVinci once did human cadavers; now he’s back and she must catch this clever killer before he can unveil his ultimate masterpiece–her.
- Only Wrong Once by Jenifer Ruff: After two worrying deaths on opposite sides of the country, operative Quinn and CDC agent Madeline unearth a terrorist plot to trigger a lethal pandemic. Can the pair stop imminent catastrophe?
- The Healer by Christoph Fischer: When advertising executive Erica Whittaker is diagnosed with terminal cancer, her only hope becomes controversial healer Arpan – but can she trust him with her life and could their respective pasts catch up with them before time runs out for Erica?
- Outcome, a Novel by Barbara Ebel: A woman and her dog flee for their lives during a major hurricane, but what happens next is far worse.
- If a Tree Falls by Robert I. Katz: Richard Kurtz thought that covering for another surgeon in the West Virginia mountains would be a pleasant way to spend a few weeks…until fifteen bodies are discovered in a shallow grave.
- Maya Hope by Timothy Browne: A doctor stumbling through life and a North Korean bioterrorist plot; the two collide in an unforgettable tale.
- Viable Hostage by Audrey J. Cole: When Malorie’s roommate goes missing, no one seems concerned about the wayward medical student’s mysterious disappearance–until another student’s partial remains wash ashore a Seattle beach…
- The Marburg Mutation by Allen Kent: When word circulates through international terrorist channels that a weaponized strain of the deadly Marburg virus is to be auctioned to the highest bidder, an elite counter-intelligence team races potential buyers to destroy the Marburg mutation and prevent a global catastrophe.
- The Savant of Chelsea by Suzanne Jenkins – After the death of her mother, New York surgeon Alexandra Donika travels to New Orleans to face the secrets and tragedies of her youth when a mystery is solved, leading on a journey to madness.