Today I have the pleasure to introduce Maggie West, another wonderful cozy mystery writer.
- What type of crime fiction do you write and why?
I write cozy mysteries, which are whodunits of the mild type. While I enjoy reading more hard-boiled mysteries, writing about gore and guts doesn’t really appeal to me.
- Did anyone influence you / encourage you to become a writer?
My second grade teacher realized I liked to write and gave me permission to write. She even let me stay in at recess to read and write if I wanted to. It was wonderful!
- Tell us about the concept behind your books. How did you get the idea?
I have two cozy mystery series. The Lily Thistle series features a fifth grade school teacher who solves murders in her new seaside town of Port Peculiar. I got the idea for this one from family members who are teachers, and I love the Pacific Northwest, where it’s set.
My other series is new and is called antique pickers in Paradise. This one features a pair of antique pickers, Sherri and Carol, who live in the Midwest and hunt down the killer while looking for treasures. I have bought and sold antiques most of my life and thought it would be fun to have the amateur sleuths be “junkers,” too.
- Who is your favourite Detective?
I have lots of favorites. I loved the detective television shows of the 1970s like Colombo and Petrocelli and Mannix. In books I enjoy JA Jance’s mysteries, Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley books, and so so many more!
- Are you like any of the characters (and how so)?
I am most like Sherri and Carol in my antique pickers books. Having bought and sold antiques and collectibles for years, I know the business and can relate. They seem to have a lot more fun than I ever do though!
- What is more important in your books – the plot twists or the characters?
I like character-driven books. I know plot is important but for me, without fleshed out characters that come alive, a book is lacking.
- Do you throw in Red Herrings?
Of course! It wouldn’t be a mystery without them, would it?
- How violent are your novels?
Not very. So far, someone has been killed in each book but the murder happens off screen. Little to no description of the body is given.
- Is there such a thing as cosy in murder mystery?
Of course there is! Cozy simply means it’s clean. Your grandmother could read it and not object (too much).
- Do you include humour?
I try to! I love humor even in a murder mystery because like life, I think there is an element of humor in just about every situation.
- What book are you currently reading and in what format (e-book/paperback/hardcover)?
I’ve been reading A Man Called Ove and I have to finish it for book club tomorrow night. Gotta go!
Maggie West is the author of the Antique Pickers in Paradise cozy mystery series and the Lily Thistle cozy mystery series, the Doorways to the Past time travel series, and several romance books. When she’s not reading or writing, she loves to craft and sew, keep her kitten out of trouble (oh boy, good luck with that!), and take walks where she dreams up new stories.
social media links:
- Website link: http://www.maggiewestbooks.com
- Facebook Link (author page) https://www.facebook.com/MaggieWestAuthor
- Twitter Link https://twitter.com/MaggieWestBooks
or if you would prefer individual book links, here is the link on Amazon for Picked to Death: https://www.amazon.com/Picked-Antique-Pickers-Paradise-Mystery-ebook/dp/B01KQZ330C/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8