REVIEWS REMOVED FROM AMAZON – Source: What to Do about Reviews Disappearing from Amazon (Proactive Solutions) | chrismcmullen
It’s a well-known fact: Amazon blocks and removes numerous four- and five-star reviews, but almost never removes a one- or two-star review.
You have two choices:
- Get upset about it.
- Find a proactive way to make the most of it.
I have proactive suggestions for:
- Customers who have had their reviews removed.
- Authors who have seen reviews vanish without even so much as a puff of smoke.
Suggestions for customers are first. If you’re an author, just scroll down to your section.
If you’re concerned about the WHY, I’ll address this at the end of my post.
SUGGESTIONS FOR CUSTOMERS WHOSE REVIEWS DISAPPEARED FROM AMAZON
(A few customers think that when they click the star rating at the end of a Kindle book that they are reviewing it on Amazon, when instead they are rating the book on Goodreads. A few customers think they’ve submitted a review, but what they’ve actually done is just reach the intermediate page where they check their review before submitting it. The first step is to make sure that you’ve properly and fully submitted a review.)
Why did you write the review in the first place?
- You felt strongly about the book.
- You felt that the book deserved recommending.
- You wanted to help other customers make wise shopping decisions.
So, you typed up a review and submitted it to Amazon, but discovered later that the review was gone. (Wait a minute. No, wait a day or two. Sometimes, when you post a review, there is a delay of 1-2 days before it shows up.)
That doesn’t prevent you from accomplishing your original goals.
Here are some proactive suggestions:
- Recommend the book to people you know. Word-of-mouth recommendations are like GOLD. They can be better than writing a review on Amazon. If your goal was to recommend the book, nothing is stopping you from doing so.
- Review the book on Goodreads. It’s the next best thing to reviewing it at Amazon.
- Contact the author. Not to complain about the missing review. Authors appreciate feedback and hearing from fans. Offer to let the author use your positive comments on his blog, in the front matter, or anywhere else the author might be able to benefit from a review snippet. Reviews have many other potential uses besides sitting on the Amazon product page.
- Do you have a blog, Twitter account, or Facebook account? Share your review with your followers. Since Amazon DIDN’T publish your review, they can’t prohibit you from sharing it.
- Follow the author on Amazon. Just visit one of the author’s books, scroll down to the author’s biography, visit the author’s author page at Amazon, and click the big yellow Follow button on the top left. If you liked the book, you might appreciate having Amazon send you an email the next time the author publishes a book.
- Follow the author’s blog, social media, or email newsletter. You can be one of the author’s fans.
- Review the book on Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository, or other retailer where the book is sold.
Although you could contact Amazon to ask why your review was removed, this really isn’t proactive. You’re probably going to get a vague response, if any. You’re probably not going to convince Amazon that they made a mistake and reinstate your review. Most likely, you will waste both your time and Amazon’s.
(If your review violated any of Amazon’s guidelines, before posting your review elsewhere, you should first read the other site’s review guidelines to ensure that you’re not violating them.)
SUGGESTIONS FOR AUTHORS WHOSE REVIEWS DISAPPEARED FROM AMAZON
Very often, the author doesn’t even know that it happened. Amazon automatically blocks many reviews, such that they are gone before the author has a chance to see them.
And if the author “knows” that a review was blocked by Amazon, chances are that the author has some connection with the reviewer and Amazon “knows” of this connection.
Here are some proactive steps that authors can take regarding customer reviews disappearing from Amazon:
continue reading here What to Do about Reviews Disappearing from Amazon (Proactive Solutions) | chrismcmullen